Sunday, July 15, 2012

There's holes in my stuff





Whenever I start a new house project, my mind goes straight to consumer mode. All my "wants" turn to "needs," and even if I am doing just one small project, I begin to "see" everything that is wrong with my 70 year old house and with all of our stuff.

When I was folding the laundry this morning I nearly had a panic attack because I realized how worn out the kid's sheets were and that I needed to buy new ones soon. And speaking of that, I really needed to get on their "bed project" because they are currently sleeping on mattresses on the floor. But how was I going to buy everything that we "need?" Because, surely if the kid's sheets have holes in them, or they are sleeping on beds one step up from mats, then that makes me a bad parent or a bad person!


And I am so grateful that it happened this way, 
that my frantic circle thinking was interrupted by the still, small whisper of the Holy Spirit.

"God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." Samuel 16:7



 Don't get me wrong, I love a good house project. I love to make things pretty. It gives me another creative outlet, and it gives me a certain kind of motivation when I have a pleasing space. But it is all too easy for me to get caught up in the appearance of things, and hold that as a bar to measure my worth.


Why do I fret so much about the things I have or have not?  I can't blame it solely on Pinterest or prolific design blogs. It's the age old battle of flesh versus the Spirit. Jesus himself had not even a mattress to lay on when He came into this world, yet people tried to discredit Him as king because He didn't have the pedigree they expected.  If my baby could fit in the cat's food bowl, do you think I would lay her in there? No way. I don't even let her touch the cat food bowl. Yet, the fullness of God in a human body used a feeding trough as His bed.
I guess I had my priorities out of order.

Dear God, Thank you for interrupting my worldly thoughts with your truth. 
Please remind me of what is important again tomorrow.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely reminder that the things we think we want or even need are just the stuff that distracts us from the true meaning of life. Blessings to you and your lovely family.

Amanda Conley said...

thanks Jane. :D
Blessing to you too, sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

I can so quickly get sucked into the "must haves"!! that's when I have to step back, give myself a few days and look at what I DO have. "Things" aren't bad, but my insatiable appetite for things sometimes sneaks in there and I have to reign in it! Love this post. :)

Amanda Conley said...

Me too! Thanks Jennifer!